Friday, September 23, 2005

State of the Nation

I am deeply concerned about the state of our nation. We have become a nation of complacent decadence. The following is by no means a complete list of what has me concerned. It is however, a good start.

1. We live in a nation whose professed ideal is one of selfish achievement. It’s no longer about keeping up with the Jones's; it’s about smacking the Jones's the fuck down. Many of us have become so competitive that we’ve ceased to think of anything but ourselves, and what we stand to gain or lose.
2. Our country is all about profit. Rich men doing the bidding of richer men while all the while telling us they care about us and our needs. The Demicans and Republicrats (thanks Ani) couldn’t care less about our poor and middle class butts, we don’t contribute enough money to weigh in.
3. We live in a nation that preaches tolerance from the pulpit while it demonstrates, by its actions, only tolerance for people and actions that adhere to Christian ideals. People who dare mention this hypocrisy are dubbed deviant and/or anti-American. This is ignorant in the extreme.
4. We live in a nation that claims to be a republic – a representative democracy. At what time have rich, predominantly white and predominantly male, aristocratic bureaucrats been representative of the public as a whole or held the interests of the poor and middle classes chief among their concerns?
5. Following that logic, in national elections, our electoral college is supposed to vote according to the popular vote in their districts. They are not required to do so and, they are anonymous. In reality, our presidency is decided by 538 votes of which 270 are needed to elect a president. I graduated in a class of 330 or so. Guess how many of those folks I knew and actively disagreed with?
6. The appointment of Duhbya, George of the Bungle, Bush to the office of President was a direct and obvious mockery of a system that is ludicrous on its face.
7. The political parties give “we the people” the choice between two men who are essentially the same and give us a vote so that we feel like we can exercise that choice. It’s crap. A vote for the better of two evils is still a vote for evil even if that vote is meaningless.
8. Our money isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. When the government needs more, it prints more. It’s not backed by anything other than the US’s financial reputation which is deteriorating as the backed Euro gains ground.
9. We are borrowing money to pay for our tax cuts, the war on terror, the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, the rebuilding of Iraq and Afghanistan, the hurricane Katrina disaster, and I’m sure, the recovery efforts surrounding hurricane Rita. We cannot continue just putting all of this crap on our tab. Sooner or later, we will get tossed out of the bar.
10. China is buying up our debt at record rates. It doesn’t take a genius to realize what would happen if they called due and demanded payment in, oh lets just say, Euros.
11. Alternative fuels exist and are relatively easy to produce save that the oil and auto companies do not want them produced. For example, we have the farming capacity to produce enough bio-diesel to almost eliminate our dependence on fossil fuel. Why not? It’s about profit pure and simple – greed see #1.
12. Immunizations and Flu shots. This is the biggest load of crap served to us since we were given the vote. This is not to say that some immunizations haven’t benefited civilization, obviously some have. However, going out to get yourself a case of the flu in the form of a flu vaccine so you don’t get the flu and so that you can give it to everyone around you who didn’t get the vaccine only helps to put money in the pharmaceutical companies pockets. Take a closer look at the CDC’s flu numbers if you doubt me. Or better yet, take a look at Jon Rappoport’s No More Fake News.
13. We have legislated and continue to legislate personal safety - helmets, insurance, immunizations, seat belts, speed limits etc… Soon we’ll have to legally carry health insurance if we have children. Yay! I have kids, and I have health insurance. I carry insurance because I think it’s a good idea for me and my family, not because I think you should too.
14. We moved to impeach President Clinton for lying about a blowjob. To paraphrase Bill Maher, Bush has lost two trade centers, part of the Pentagon, four airliners, the budget surplus, a couple of thousand soldiers, and most recently a major metropolis – maybe he’s just had a bad string of luck? He's appointed his unqualified cronies to positions like the director of FEMA (two separate appointments in fact), and the American/Islamic good will ambassador and despite all of this, no serious consideration has been given to the idea of impeaching an incompetent, albeit I think well meaning, President.
15. The speed and effectiveness of our response, both at the State and Federal level to the Katrina disaster and now the Rita evacuation, is shameful and embarrassing.
16. Many of the people in the countries of the world hate us because of our leaders and their policies. While most of us wouldn’t do what our country does in our name, the perception of the world is that we’re all behind it. This is particularly ironic in that most of us don’t even excercise our right to vote - regardless of whether or not it would make a difference.
17. We the people are easily distracted by non-issues like flag burning, gay marriage, and gun control. Constitutional amendments don’t just happen folks. Read this post by Wigwam Jones who elaborates on this point far better than I would. Every time flag burning comes up, I start looking for what the other hand is doing.
18. We focus, and are meant to focus, on race, religion, sex, social class and economic concerns. This keeps us divided and at each other’s throats rather than focused on our leaders and their actions or inaction. We the people don’t keep our eye on the ball. It’s no wonder we play the patsy so often.
19. This focus is formed and refined by the public school system which was designed by the wealthy industrialists of the last century to produce good workers. They teach suspicion and mistrust of others in an environment of competition for meaningless prizes. Sounds a lot like the environment at work eh? We are taught, and we teach our kids to work for money. The rich teach their kids to make money work for them.
20. We live in a loosely controlled police state. It was made less loose with the Patriot Act and the implementation of Homeland Security. Now all that need be done to execute an unreasonable search and seizure is to allege terrorist sympathies on the individual to be searched. That person can then be incarcerated without trial or parole indefinitely. Yet another nail in the coffin of the Bill of Rights.
21. We have old women taking their shoes off in airports and piles of confiscated fingernail clippers and knitting needles while our borders remain all but wide open north and south. After 911, Bush encouraged all Americans to be watchful and notify authorities of anything suspicious. Recently, he criticised the Minute Men saying that they were disruptive vigilantes. The Minute Men, to make a point, camped on the border for a month, at their own expense, and reported any crossings to the border patrol. They were non-violent reporters. I ask you, if people can walk across the border unchecked, why bother protecting the planes?

I could probably go on but you begin to get my point. The system is quite simply broken. Any student of history will tell you that this is nothing new – rather a new iteration of an old cycle. I am a patriot. I love my country and what it was meant to stand for – liberty and justice for all. If our country is to exceed historical tradition, we must grow through and past this. We cannot hope for success by surrendering our freedoms for the illusion of security. Any of us could die at any time and for any number of reasons. To live in a state of inaction perpetuated by fear is no life at all. To quote Ben Franklin, “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Remember, powers once given to the Federal Government are NEVER returned to the people.

For those of you whom I may have offended, I support your right to disagree. Free and open discourse on such issues is one of the few freedoms we continue to enjoy. I think it is only through conversation that compromise can be achieved. For those of you unwilling to compromise, yours must be an uncomfortable position indeed. I once said, “When neither side is even a little wrong, neither side is really right.”

RCS

20 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Is this what you call one of them there rant things? Which used to be called soap box oratory? Which later became preaching to the choir? I gotta study up on this.

Hoss 1, Robert 0

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

yow! you've been busy. I agree with most of this, however I have questions. Doesn't it actually take more net energy to create a gallon of biodiesel than you get when you burn it? I recall reading that somewhere. I thought the same thing was true of ethanol. Immunization and flu shots - I thought the reason we had to go to europe after that tainting episode was because the pharm companies in this country don't like to make the flu shot because there is absolutely no money in it -- it only works once, and they have to sell it really cheap. I thought the only places actually making them anymore were the countries with socialized medicine, and that the pharm companies in those countries were taking a loss just making it. Clinton impeachment: I don't think it was about a blowjob. I think it was about lying under oath, in front of the entire country. Personally, I don't care if he gets his pole smoked by ugly women - but I do care that he lied under oath. And I dislike him for basically giving our satellite guidance system to china. As for other countries liking us? The only way they will like us is if we are not on top any longer. It's the way of the world. We give billions a year in aid to Egypt. Do they like us? No. Do they still take our money? Betcherass. Other than that, I agree with everything you've said.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Babette said...

Do you read the shrinks' stuff at www.sigcarlfred.blogspot.com? It is always informative and thought-provoking and they are engaged to Michele Agnew!

We run our old Mercedes Benzes on biodiesel. "I'm out of gas, kids!" - "Do you have any salad oil, Mama?"

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Lilly - Geez I wouldn't rant about you online - at least not if I was irritated about you. Chuckle

Hoss - You gotta elaborate on your scoring methods, I don't get it.

Johnny - Busy indeed. You ask some good questions, I'll do my best to answer. I don't know about the energy to create biodiesel/energy produced equation. I would assume there's a net loss in any fuel but I don't know. I was using biodiesel as an example that there are other choices. I have heard that you can run most diesels on straight vegetable oil as suggested by Bonnie below. As to the flu, consider the profits to be gained by treating the flu using over the counter medications. If one person gets the vaccine, a live strain mind you, and passes it on to the people around him/her that didn't get the vaccine. Then we have not only a good reason to get the vaccine but lots of over the counter remedies to treat the symtoms. Cher's a nurse and therefore required to get most flu vaccines. Almost without fail, she'll get sick immediately after and then the rest of us will get sick. Yucky. As to Slick Willy lying about a blowjob under oath in front of the entire country, yep it's offensive, yep it's embarassing, and yes the guidance system thing was a bad idea. It still seems somehow less impressive than Bush's string of fuckups. You'll note I didn't even mention the WMD-they tried to kill my dad debacle in my original post. I think it can reasonably be said that the USA was better liked by the world for much of the 20th century than it is right now. I think that's due to bad policy decisions. Bribes, tributes, aid don't equal true allies they equal countries who won't get in our way for fear of getting cut off.

Bonnie - I'll check it out. Good for you using bio!

RCS

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Wowser. I don't wish to taint your extremely well written and carefully worded essay with small talk and "golly I don't really know" humor, so I'll just say that I'm glad I've read your views and could envision one hell of a long conversation over late night coffee in your house! (that wasn't insulting ... I thrive on long conversations over late night snacks)
I do believe I agree with about 90% of all you've spelled out here.

Great job RCS. Truly.

Oh and I commented on your comment left at my most recent post.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Whew! That was a major rant.
I disagree with much of it, but that's okay.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Blake said...

Where can I sign this manifesto?

Blake

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

#11 always makes me boil. good discourse.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger V said...

Is that all you got? ;)

p.s. I'm linking you.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Chipper Dip said...

huzah, brother - huzah!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Lee Ann said...

Definitely some good points. I am a patriot too, but so much is in shambles. One thing that I think is too many people are too worried about being "politically correct"....it is just making a mess of things.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tax cuts pay for themselves. We need to stop spending so much.

Congress is like the wife. Hubby gets a raise in revenue when taxes are cut, wifey starts speding double-time on purses and shoes.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Wow! What a post. There are many points worthy of discussion but those that irritate me most are why send young people to their death is the middle east? "War what is it good for? Absolutely nothing." (Except Haliburton and co).

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger amarkonmywall said...

Are you saying China is going to stop buying us drinks? Agreed- things are a mess and values often suspect. This is a well written and thorough piece.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

Robert, I've tried to wait until I have a few minutes to sit and really read and absorb what you had to say. I must say you've done some deep thinking. Good stuff.

It's hard to argue against capitalism, but by it's virtue there will be rich, middle class and poor. The people we choose to represent us confounds me, and the transformation those people undergo when they enter the city limits of DC is amazing...

Something else that astounds me is the glib approach with with we handle our budget, with no concern for debt and deficit. It chaps my ass when the IRS reminds me I owe 15 dollars in interest from last year, when the government keeps it's books like a drunken high school dropout. (and spends like a drunken... um, someone that spends a lot of money) And that China owns so much of our debt is simply unacceptable and irresponsible.

Regarding personal freedoms, I agree wholeheartedly. Who wants safety at the cost of freedom? I'd say if you were to sample Americans, most would say no thanks.

After an event like 9/11, people demand higher security standards. Then, when the standards are implemented, people bitch. I say, being reasonable and sensible go a long way, and hiring qualified security personnel would make all the difference.

I agree with a fair amount of what you say, you appear to be quite libertarian. Thanks for having the guts to put it out there. I admire the clear, lucid nature of your thoughts, agree or not.

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one. Nicely articulated. Have you looked into the "HoNDA" bill?

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

WH - Your humor is never wasted lady! Lilly and I would love to have you over if you're ever in town. I'm sure we could eat lots of good(bad) food and chat well into the night.

Jamie - I didn't think I was ranting, rather expressing concern. Better get my rant-o-meter checked... Disagrement is par for the course - it makes life more interesting.

Blake - Heh, I hadn't intended it as a manifesto but thank you for the compliment!

Joe - Me too Joe. We needn't further the destruction of our planet for profit. The problem is those who make the profits make the rules - it's always been that way.

Ari - Oh, I've got more lady. I've got more. I just have to make sure I spread it around and apply it carefully. ;-) I added you too!

Tech - I'm glad you liked it! :-) Good to meet you, virtually speaking. I'll be by to check out your blog in the next couple of days.

Lee Ann - Political correctness (is that a word) is indeed one of the potential barriers to changing any system. Still, it's important to remain sympathetic if any compromise is to be met. It's unfortunate that this doesn't seem to go both ways...

LBB - Ceterus Peribus, tax cuts should pay for themselves in that people with more expendible money in their pockets spend more. However, all things are not equal. As you point out, spending on the part of the government cannot increase exponentially while revenues received are reduced without the proverbial SH*T hitting the fan.

Zelda - War is not something I favor either. However, that's exactly where we are. We've started this, and we need to finish it. We made the mess. We need to clean it up. I simply wish that I felt that our government would be honest with us and the world about why we started this in the first place.

Vicki - No more drinks from China! They're getting us drunk and stupid. Next they're gonna take advantage of us. Our friends left the bar hours ago!

Dave - I waited and waited... ;-) Honestly, I looked forward to hearing what you had to say - I knew it would be interesting and thought provoking. Capitalism works fairly well as is demonstrated by our economy. However, it should be recognized that the market has periodic adjustments towards equalibrium. I think our market is currently out of balance. The top 1% control something like 98.5% of the wealth in the country. In simple terms, a very small group of people control more capital than the rest of us combined. Trust me, they're not interested in the redistribution of resources required to return to some kind equalibrium. They, or their fathers, worked hard for their money and they should arguably be allowed to keep it. The problem is that historically, this sort of disparity is never allowed to stand for long.

The accounting is insane and yes China scares me. Somebody recently said, The last century was ours. The century before that was Britian's. The next one will be China's. I think there's truth in that.

Sampling Americans around me with questions, I find that most of them don't agree with what the votes say they do. This is disturbing.

As to being a libertarian, I don't know. I'm a registered independent. I'll have to check out their basis and get back to you. I do know that I'm a concerned American who feels that my views are not adequately represented in my government.

Ron - I did some reading up on the HoNDA bill and I have to say that what I see is disturbing. All of the kids I have known that were schooled at home are smart, polite, articulate children who have grown into strong, capable, compasionate adults who generally have far less fear about pursuing their dreams. This bill seems punitive. I'll be reading more and watching. Thanks for the heads up!

RCS

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!Well put on all acounts I think.
I am from the UK(I am cringing whilst I admit this sad fact) and found what you said fascinating and intense. I could write most of it about our government too.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Pete B said...

Another barn-storming post here, Rob.

While we're marginally better off here in the UK, I have deep concerns along much the same lines - and indeed that public health and other matters may follow the US system if we don't pay very close attention.

As regards calling in your debts, I think Uncle Sam would probably just pull the bird at anybody who tries and pretty much say "Yeah? Bite me!"

laters
PB

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

RCS, it has now gone way beyond concern here ... I only hope (very much so) that all is good and right with your world these days.
I believe I speak for many many bloggers out here who truly miss your (and Cher's) writings. Thoughts are with both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home