Saturday, August 06, 2005

Scattershot Film Reviews

It’s time, yet again, for another scattershot movie review session. Today, I have some new release movies as well as some rentals for your consideration. I’ve decided I like the multi-movie review (probably because it’s more convenient for me.) In any case, here they are for your enjoyment.

 

The Island

This film was just a mindless bit of good old fashioned fun with a sci-fi twist. There are explosions, beautiful people, funny jokes, and social commentary on some of the potential difficulties surrounding cloning. It’s not deep or difficult to understand – just straight forward fun entertainment – like Independence Day or Armageddon.

 

Sideways

I bought this film because it seems like I always pay like $15 to rent any film because of late charges - wait that’s no longer the correct term, “Extended Viewing Fees.” In any case, I don’t rent anymore, but I digress. The film starts a bit slowly but it’s wry humor drags you along through the adventures of a couple of forty-something men on a bachelor’s weekend in California’s Napa valley. It highlights some of the games men like to play with themselves in a funny and poignant way. It’s kind of pretentious but yet accessible unlike the director’s most recent film About Schmidt.



Bewitched

Well I generally HATE Will Ferrell however, he was almost tolerable this time around. Nicole Kidman and Michael Caine made the film as far as I’m concerned. It’s a cheesy remake of a cheesy TV series. But it’s funny, and even witty at times. It’s not great film making but it’s warm and cute and leaves you feeling happy.

 

Team America – World Police

I had high expectations of this puppet film being as it was made by the same folks who brought us South Park. Like South Park, it’s viciously biting at everyone and everything. However, unlike South Park, it didn’t strike me as funny most of the time. Perhaps it’s the Puppets/Anime thing. It’s like watching a great comic having an off night. It’s still funny but it feels awkward and when you go home, you feel embarrassed for him.

RCS

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Babette said...

Thanks for the viewing tips! We loved "Sideways", (except for the language and nudity!) partly because my husband has dined at Buellton's Hitching Post.

We're going to see one of our favorite actors, Bill Murray, in "Broken Flowers" tonight.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i think Elizabeth Montgomery resembled my mother when they were both younger. i wouldn't want to ruin the memory of going to see a rehash. the other movies look intriguing something I could Endura.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home