Wednesday, August 24, 2005

08.24.05 - Life Update

Well folks, a mere month ago I was bemoaning the fact that we, Cher, the kids and I, were not going to be able to get a house until sometime next year. Since Saturday, we’ve been moving into our new house. Go figure. It’s amazing what happens when you put something out there and go with it when the door opens - simply amazing. It’s a much bigger house than what we thought we could afford with a lovely shaded backyard and patio on which we have had BBQ everyday since we moved in. I’ll eventually tire of BBQ but it reminds me of my childhood and happy times watching my father grill. As he and his father have moved on past this life, I am slowly growing into the role of Mr. Seifert. He, of course, would be sitting around in a T-shirt drinking Coors Light while I sit around drinking diet Pepsi as I watch the grill. I had no idea how difficult it was to keep the kids from burning themselves on the grill until I had a grill of my own.

School began anew for both the kids and I Monday. I didn’t get to start until today because of the move and Josh doesn’t get to start until Friday for much the same reason. I’ve only met my Ethics professor so far but, I like her. Hopefully the others speak to me in a way I can understand. Because of the fact that I changed my Major at the last minute, I had to drop several classes and then sign up for whatever was open in my Major. As a result, I have a class that starts at 5:30pm and gets out at 6:45pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. This would be fine except that Cher and I have one night a week that is for us – date night. The night set aside for that is unfortunately Wednesday night.

Date night was not my idea. I think, and I may be mistaken, that I got the idea from my friend and mentor Don. In any case, one night a week is inviolate with regards to my marriage. That’s the one night that I plan to take my wife out and wine and dine her – just the two of us. With six kids, the importance of this is monumental. Wednesday night also happens to be the night that I drop my three off at their mother’s. Well, the appointed hour for this exchange is before I get home from school this semester and so Cheryl, bless her heart, has agreed to drop them off for me. This is a really big deal to me - after all, who really wants to talk to the ex of anyone they’re married to. This is reason #65 that I’m nominating Cher for sainthood. Thank you Cher! THANK YOU!

Anyhow, I won’t get home till like 7:30pm, which seems a little late to go out. Hopefully, I can convince Cher to go anyway. Though what we’ll do if we go out I have no idea - The movies this summer just SUCK. Perhaps a trip to the local Barnes and Noble for coffee and a book… We shall see.

That’s about all the time I have. I need to get to class. More later, of course.

RCS

7 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow! Congrats on your new home. That is very exciting. I can't wait to someday own my own home. I really am tired of apartment life, but I do like having maintenance take care of everything without any extra charges.
Good luck with school.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

Congrats on the house. Moving is a pain, but so worth it considering you had resigned yourself to apartment life for a while.

Date night is a great idea, and it's cool that it's an "unbreakable" rule. We all need that release to keep our sanity.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Sounds like a good plan, Robert. Good for you for sticking with it. And here's Vote No. 2 for Sainthood.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger mojoala said...

congrats on the new house.

yeah the novelty of bbqing will wear off.

good luck in your other indeavers....

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Houses are overrated. Have you considered a modular?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

We BBQ at least three nights a week all summer and at least two all winter. Depending what you grill, it's pretty healthy, actually.
I'm so happy for you two ... a
house! YES! That is wonderful news Robert.
You are starting to get as bad as me... posting once a week. I miss your more frequent posts!

Best of luck with school... the house... and with getting Cher out of the house for date night.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Okay RCS ... it's Sept. 2 now. I'm not saying to hurry up or anything (hurry up) and I wouldn't be one to push you into creating a new post (push push) but I WILL tell you that I eagerly anticipate looking in on your next post. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home