Friday, August 12, 2005

Review - The Dukes of Hazard


“Just the good ol' boys, Never meanin' no harm, Beats all you've ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born.” – Waylon Jennings.

I did it. I let my inner red neck out to play and went with my lovely wife to see The Dukes of Hazard. I knew before I went that it would be cheesy. I knew that it would not be great film making. I also knew I’d experience that wave of blissful nostalgia that one only gets when looking at a new take on something you loved as a kid. Well surf that wave I did. As such, I have no objectivity to bring to the table here so bear that in mind.

I loved it. I laughed and laughed until tears ran down my face. It was formulaic as hell, just like the TV show. The dukes were forever doing things that just didn’t add up technically, just like the series. It was nothing more than hysterical romp down memory lane. My only disappointment was Cooter. He just wasn’t funny. Jessica Simpson surprised me though in that I really enjoyed the way she delivered her lines… yah, that’s the ticket. Seriously though, she’s not just a pretty face. As far as the rest of the actors, Johnny Knoxville (Luke) and Sean William Scott(Bo) are just wonderful together although, Bo was a bit dumber than I would have liked. Burt Reynolds just barely pulled off Boss Hogg - without the rest of the cast, I’d be bitching.

While I cannot, in good conscience, lead you to believe this was good film, I can tell you that if you liked the series you’ll love this film. You don’t probably need to see it in the theater but I would recommend it if you get the chance and you’re into this kinda thing.

RCS

6 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I will probably wait until it goes to video. I wasn't a fan of the show, but I'm sure I'll rent the flick one day and have a few chuckles. Plus, seeing Jessica in that good of shape will inspire me to get to work!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Eddo said...

I am into this sort of thing - thanks for the review. I LOVED the Dukes of Hazard growing up and I had a General Lee Matchbox car... I wish I still had it now.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger mojoala said...

From what I have heard, I will wait for it on NetFlix!

A Movie has to be exceptional for me to go to the theatre to see it.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Amandarama said...

I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach watching it. Although I think Sean William Scott is funny as hell, Jessica Simpson causes me to want to hit her with a broken bottle until the screaming stops. Mine or hers, I'm not choosy.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

I saw the trailer a few months ago and have anticipated the arrival of the movie since. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but I am glad you reviewed it. That puts me over the top, I'll see it this week!

As for Jessica Simpson, dumb as a box of rocks. Yet SO freakishly hot.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real Cooter has advised me not to see the film because it betrays the Series.

I shall honor his request.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home