Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Placing principles before personalities...

The trouble with having principles is that they are expensive not only to get, but also to maintain. I’m sitting here before class contemplating a conflict of principle. For those of you who listened to my recent entries on the AudioBlog, you can skip the background and move on to the third paragraph. I had to miss class last Tuesday because Cher and I carpooled to Denver. I had class and she had an orientation to attend. The plan was for me to attend my first class and pick her up after her orientation, take her home, and then come back for my second class. As it turns out, her orientation ran long and I realized that I wouldn’t have time to get back for class. Being a good egg, I quickly found the syllabus for the class in question and read that two unexcused absences would result in a reduction of my final grade by one letter grade. Reading on, I discovered that excused absences could be had if there were a viable reason and if the professor was notified in advance. I had already missed the first day of class due to the move before I even knew about his policy.

Being reasonably sure that my wife had orientation that ran long was not going to fly, I conceived of a reason that he might consider viable. I told him that her car had broken down and that I had to miss class so that I could help her out and pick our kids up from school on time. I don’t generally lie – not for any noble reason mind you, just that it often creates more trouble than it’s worth. I figured I was good and then, in a stroke of genius, sent him an email as well on the odd chance he didn’t check his voicemail. I was considerably more vague in the email. So, after class on Thursday, and a pop quiz on the class before, he pulls me aside and asks me for documentation to prove the reason for my absence. He points out that the need for documentation is expressly pointed out on the syllabus and that he has to be consistent. Trying to show no reaction, I tell him I’ll do what I can and go about my business.

The more I thought about this predicament, the more pissed off I got. First of all, I wouldn’t have lied if I had deemed that the very reasonable circumstances that caused me to miss class would be acceptable. In effect, I lied for his comfort as much as my own. Secondly, I’m 33 yrs old and I PAID to take this class – that makes me the customer. If I don’t choose to use what I paid for it’s on me. Thirdly, I’m 33 yrs old and I have RESPONSIBILITIES – If I need to miss, I’m going to miss and you need to trust me to figure that out. I can only surmise that he feels his time is VERY valuable and that he needs his students to demonstrate the respect for his position that he feels he deserves. I would even go so far as to assume he’s been more lenient in the past and been burned for it – hence his blanket policy. What I disagree with is treating everyone in the class as though they are untrustworthy and irresponsible. Treating people as though they might be dishonest encourages them to be dishonest. The same applies in reverse. Trusting someone encourages them to be trustworthy.

So here’s the thing, I typically clean up my messes as soon as I realize I’ve made one. In this case, I’ve been dishonest. However, I did not create harm by my actions. I feel like I should apologize for the lie even though it’s not important to my principle in this case. On the surface, apologizing up front weakens my argument against his policy. In practice, it’s integral to my point – that if you treat people as though they are dishonest, they will be. I may or may not apologize for the lie – I’ll have to wait and see if it’s going to be beneficial or not. I will absolutely let him know that I’ll respectfully not be providing documentation despite the potential negative impact on my grade based on a principled disagreement with his policy. If he chooses to ask me about my principles, then I’ll proceed delicately.

I actually like this teacher and enjoy his class so I don’t want to upset him unduly but if it happens, it’s his shit. I guess I’d like to point out the fault in his thinking even if it’s not my place. Perhaps he’ll offer me the opportunity. I rather hope he doesn’t. It’s absolutely worth a letter grade to stand by my principles. My GPA will survive. I think it’s silly to ding an “A” student, someone who is responsible, for not being in class. If you can not go to class and still get an “A”, more power to you.

RCS

14 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Lee Ann said...

RCS - I understand your predicament. I have to say, and you will not like me to say this, but you are an honest person with principles.....you told a lie (that is exactly what happens to the good people - it messed you up). You know, people that lie compulsively would have probably gotten through this much easier. I agree with you that he should have respect for you, you are a grown man and he should be trusting. But also like you said, he must have been burned in the past. Good luck, I hope he is lenient on you.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Babette said...

Are you sure you shouldn't be in law school?

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Lawyers often make a living being creative liars - spin doctors, if you will. I try very hard not to rationalize to justify my positions but it's unavoidable, we all do it. I think arguing for a living would place me on some fairly shaky moral ground.

RCS

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Teachers who take off for missed classes has been my biggest pet peeve for the last 10 years. I am an adult and as you said, I PAID to be here. If I choose to throw away my money, that doesn't concern you, professor!

Good luck!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

RCS I finally disagree with you on one level here. (don't worry, eventually I disagree with everyone I know on some little thing or another ... the fact that I enjoy the give and take freedom of hashing it out has "friend" written all over it)
The thing is, as I've already stated in your audioblog comment, I think it's awful that you were asked to provide documentation for an absence, BUT... I don't agree with the concept that the teacher "may have been burned in the past." Burned how? By having a failing student in his class? Is this his burn or theirs? I'm not sure it's really possible for a teacher to get "burned" in this way. This whole issue, to my thinking, spells power trip in my eyes, and man, I'll tell you ... almost NOTHING pisses me off more.

The teacher's 'right' if you will, is to earn the respect of his/her students during the process of instructing. You can't demand respect. It is earned. Now, if this were a high school or elementary teacher, I could better justify his requesting a note - if for no other reason than that children are capable of screwing off on their parents' money. Demanding a note is then a means of control. But for a college professor to demand a note from an adult, I'm sorry, it just doesn't jive.

Back to the "been burned" issue ... if you could explain it to me another way, perhaps I'd get it, but in these terms I don't see how a teacher could have possibly gotten burnt.

I went on way too long there and I'm sorry.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw that guy. Drop his class and take wood shop. Easy A.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Chipper Dip said...

I have to say I think docking a grade for absenses is stupid-your attendance has very little relevance to what you actually learn (assuming everything isn't lecture based...). I also agree that you've paid to be there - it's up to you what you take for your money and yes, you are an adult and more than capable of prioritizing your own various responsibilities without prodding from your professors.

That said, I do, however, think you're on a bit of thin moral ground here - you did lie about your reason for missing his class and, regardless how stupid the rule may be...you don't have a whole lot of room to be outraged when he's requiring documentation -I mean it's obvious requiring documentation is his answer to the inevitable lies he'll be told to explain absenses from his class.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Alas, a quandry.
"A" work deserves an "A" grade.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

In the working world, generally if you do all your work well, on time and to the satisfaction of your superior, you can take an extra hour for lunch.

When I was in HS, if I had an A in Literature and was caught up with everything, the teacher would let me go to the library.

I think the first time the professor is absent, you should ask him if he has documentation. You are, as you've pointed out, paying his salary.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

what is next? Students punching a time clock?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Just stopping by so you know I just stopped by. Hope things are going well.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
scrap cars sydney
cash for cars melbourne city

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Metalbiz said...

Really very happy to say, your post is very interesting to read. One option that should definitely be considered is cash for cars near me, as they provide a free car removal service. Firstly, if you own an unwanted car sitting in your driveway, damaged beyond repair, or otherwise just in bad condition, you could really benefit from a cash for cars Gold Coast removal service. They provide a free, no-obligation, professional service to help you get rid of your unwanted car.
sell car to wreckers
sell car for cash

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Used Car Buyer Brisbane said...

We are expert Car Removals Brisbane who buy any brand, any make, and any model. So let us know the following information about your vehicle. Cash for cars Brisbane offer cash in all makes, models, old autos, vans, trucks Utes, and 4wds. Doesn’t make a difference if your auto is not working, not running, damaged from front or back. We are here to purchase your auto for parts and scrap metal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home