Sunday, August 07, 2005

08.07.05 - Life Update and 1 more review

My dear sister is a writer and a pretty nifty one at that. Do me a favor and stop in at Among the bees of the invisible... and drop some comments. You won't be disappointed. Of course, she may well strangle me for the advertising but then hell, what are big brothers for?

School is done until the 22nd. Thank goodness. I got all A's in music and it looks like I'm going to take a D in Biology. At least it's over. I still need two science credits for my degree. I'm thinking geology and anthropology or something like that. If any of you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. That I've been a bit stressy this week, I'm certain my wife, kids, and friends will attest. I've got to learn how to take school in stride.

I've made recent updates to both the photoblog and the audioblog so check those out when you get a chance. I am actually paying to blog now. Yay! I wanted to upload the song I played for my piano final and found that I had to pay www.audioblog.com to upload mp3s. It's not too hideous a deal at $50/yr but it's still expensive. Stay tuned as I'll have to use it to get my money's worth out of it.

I got an obnoxious letter in the mail from CU this week saying that they were hiking tuition 28% this year because of State budget cuts. As I understand it, this is after they lobbied the State of Colorado to provide an incentive to Coloradoan's for higher education which the State did, in fact, do. So, the state gives out a bunch of money to the people of Colorado for higher education which the people already paid in in taxes and CU then steps up and takes most of it to cover their budget cut. I'm talking from second and third hand sources here so don't quote me but if this turns out to be the truth, I'm gonna rant!

***!!!Warning RANDOM late night thought processes at work!!!*** I think might be cool to install a urinal at my desk so that I don't have to get up for anything other than food, though I suppose I could train my kids to bring me food, and the occasional bowel movement. I've got my computer, my desk, my guitars, my camera, and hopefully soon my new keyboard all within reach. Something tells me my dear wife wouldn't find that at all amusing - which leads me on a tangent.

After my divorce, I moved in with Paul. Paul and I rented a house from his mother. In typical geek fashion, we moved our piles of computer crap into the front room setting up four eight-foot folding tables around the perimeter of the room. This room was right next to the kitchen which didn't stop us from burning the Toll House cookies or our lunch on more than one occasion. It got so that we would instant message each other to converse despite being three feet apart. Spoken words were simply outmoded. I had the better sound system so I was generally in charge of the tunes though that often proved a bit annoying for dear Paul. After all, who doesn't like Thomas Dolby!? Anyway, this brief time of bachelor craziness lasted until I met Cher and Paul met Jenn. I loved living with Paul but married life has perks that living with Paul thankfully didn't offer.

Well after that you've probably tuned me out and, as my eyes are crossing as I squint to wrap this up, I'm thinking I should probably crawl in bed. It has just occurred to me that I saw another movie that I failed to review. Crap. Well here you go:




The Life Aquatic

This little ditty was amusing and quite a bit of fun. It was quirky and felt almost European. It reminded me a lot of the type of humor used in "Lost in Translation." However, it was not as well executed. It flows smoothly from scene to scene and Bill Murray's character is surprisingly tender at times. I'd probably wait for rental on this one but it would also make a fine matinee.

RCS

14 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger the many Bs said...

Good luck on that music degree. It's a hard way to make a living, but at least you are doing something you love.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Anthropology seems more suited to music. Not that I know jack shit about any of this stuff; I just have opinions and can't keep them to myself (just like everybody else).

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger the many Bs said...

awwww...you had a schnoodle. :-) I love my schnoodle (and poodle too!).
Hoss cracks me up!
He really does know jack**** - that's MY blog!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Wow, not much of a vacation from school, eh? Good for you that it's temporarily finished and GREAT job on the grades. Trying to listen to the mp3 now but it will take forever to load with my dial-up. Beautiful pictures at your photoblog!
I too found The Life Aquatic entertaining...
and I'm happy that your marriage includes perks you didn't get while living with Paul. Very happy indeed.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

This quote from your post REALLY got my attention:

"though I suppose I could train my kids to bring me food, and the occasional bowel movement."

So, your kids are going to bring you bowel movements??
I know that's not how it was meant to be read, but I got a kick out of it anyway.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Justine said...

Life Aquatic has a great soundtrack though, didn't you think?

Here's a link to my education rant
http://justajutsa.blogspot.com/2005/07/rant-about-higher-education.html

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Rob Seifert said...

Lilly, Damn you woman always dashing my plans!

Schnoodlepooh, A hard way to earn a living is to work every day at something you hate - I have PLENTY of experience in that. I thought I'd try the other side of that coin.

Hoss, I agree with schnoods, you do know jack. Thanks for the opinion.

Weary Hag, You really must consider broadband if for nothing else than to partake of my audioblogs. ;-) It seems you're my one audio fan.

Jamie, I rarely proof read but I did this time and saw the very statement you quote here. Frankly I thought it would be Dave that brought it up but I forgot he was busy moving. Hehe, I'm glad you liked it.

Justine, Long time no see! I loved the soundtrack too.

RCS

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your story reminded me of a story my old friend Milcom Miasma tells. His parents went out and picked up a video, thinking they'd enjoy a nice evening of Tommy Dorsey and popcorn. However, both were reaching that age where bifocals are a necessity and not just a fashion statement. Milcom was treated to a phone call from a pair of miffed parents asking "Who the hell is Thomas Dolby?" Well, they got the initials right, and we got a good laugh out of imagining Milcoms parents being shocked and dismayed. It would be like seeing Hulk Hogan instead of "The Sound of Music" when you turned on the TV.

Blinded with Science,

Wiggy

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

Ahhh, roommates. I remember rooming with a buddy for about 6 months after a divorce... two bedrooms, all utilities included, 210 a month. 105 bucks each. The good ol' days.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read CU is jacking tuition.

Did you ever notice how expensive college is getting.

I thought that's why we payed all those taxes!

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just checked out your photo and audio blogs. Nice pics.

That piano piece had a Debussey quality to it. Glad to read you got an A.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Lee Ann said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Too bad about the biology, that was one of my favorites. Good luck in Anthropology...not one of my favorites:)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger V said...

I have a lit degree and I took geology for my science classes because I had my fill of cutting up dead things in high school. However, I had an awesome geology teacher and I like rocks anyway. So I guess you have to take those things into consideration.

It is most definitely cool to be able to identify stuff on road trips though.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Okay RCS ... time for a new post. Where ARE you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home