Sunday, July 24, 2005

07.24.05 - The Honeymoon Part Duex

I sit here typing this entry one week and two days after Cher and I’s wedding. The kids are due back in the next couple of days. It’s been nice having Cher to myself but I miss them. The honeymoon was a blast. It was totally from the hip - we got it in our heads that we wanted to do something or see something and we did. On the first night, we had dinner at Morton’s Steakhouse. If you have a Morton’s near you, I can’t recommend them strongly enough. We walked in our “grungies” and were treated as respectfully as we would have been had we been dressed to the nines – no snobby elitism. The food was incredible and so was the price. $150 was more than Cher and I are used to paying for a single meal but I guarantee we’ll do it again. Afterwards, we stayed at a Courtyard by Marriot hotel. Courtyards are certainly not the fanciest but, of the business class hotels, one of my favorites. You get a big, reasonably appointed room and breakfast all for $50-60, which is not bad and a hell of an improvement over Motel 6.

We had a picture of us blown up to poster size (yikes!) and had everyone that attended the wedding sign it using a paint marker. The plan was to frame it and hang it as a momento. We dropped it off before we went on our honeymoon because I knew, if we didn't, it wouldn't get done. Anyway, I've apparently, not had anything framed in a long time. I was shocked! $400!!! My kids better hang this over an altar in a family shrine or something after we're gone. In all honesty though, I'm certain it will look great.

The next day we stopped by home to get some things and then headed out the Renaissance festival in Larkspur, CO. It’s a big, medieval shopping fest. We walked all day and saw some great stuff that we may buy when we have some cash. Parking was wacky. We parked like a mile from the front gates. I just hate when I’m walking in 95 degree heat through a parking lot and see 15-20 parking places right by the gate that the damn parking nazis won’t let you have access to. I suppose, if I were a rack and stacker, I’d exercise whatever power I could as well. The day was amusing, if a bit dirty. We got home and found that we had dirt from head to toe. We got in the shower (together) and got to playing around. I was trying to push Cher up against the cold ceramic tiles and she stepped UP ON THE BACK EDGE of the tub. Not deterred, a put my right foot back and shoved hard – until I realized that I’d stepped on the drain plug with the arch of my foot. OMG did that hurt. She was very apologetic but hell, I earned it – I will definitely think twice before trying that again.

The next day we went to the Denver Botanical Gardens. It’s a lovely place. There is just about every style of garden you can think of from traditional English to Japanese. There are water gardens and loosely organized mountain gardens. We took tons of pictures that I’ll be sending to the PhotoBlog as I get time. It turns out that Cher likes to take pictures as much as I do so there was some contention for the camera – RCS is not used to sharing his toys. We’ll have to see about getting her her own camera so we can go out together and shoot with less friction. I suppose I could just grow up and share with Cher… Nah! ;-)

The next day we went to Bishop’s Castle. The pictures I posted don’t really do this monstrosity justice. It’s built in the hodgepodge willy-nilly style. You know, the I’m gonna work here today and there tomorrow philosophy - Yah, that looks about right... Mr. Bishop has been in a cold war with the State of Colorado since he started this project approximately 30 years ago. He has no interest in building codes save with regards to fighting them. As such, he will never be allowed to use the castle as a residence. In order to keep the structure, he had to turn it into a tourist attraction. Apparently that gets him around some of the building code issues. There are numerous, well articulated signs strewn all over the property proclaiming, for all to see, Jim Bishop’s right to do what he is doing. He is a constitutionalist of a sort.

As I walked around, I heard many people say that Mr. Bishop is crazy. I’ve heard this man on the radio and I stood and listened to him talk and I don’t entirely agree. In an era where Americans are lining up to give up our rights, one man is digging in and refusing based on, of all things, the United States Constitution. Funny isn’t it how someone diametrically opposed to the norm is labeled a crazy and discarded. I support Mr. Bishop’s right to build his castle in the way he sees fit – I just hope it doesn’t fall on anybody.

We also saw Fantastic 4 and Bewitched and I’ll get reviews up for those as soon as possible.

So now we’re back in the swing of things, Cher’s working, I’m in school, and the kids will be back soon. Gotta love it!

RCS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home