Saturday, December 03, 2005

New Reviews - Harry Potter, Walk the Line, Aeon Flux, & Rent


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I, having never read the books (something about not wanting to jump wholeheartedly on the HP bandwagon), enjoyed this film more than any other previous HP film to date. It was fun, it was dark, it was PG-13! Chuckle. Seriously, the effects were top notch, though admittedly, I’m a sucker for dragons. My only serious nit was that I don’t like the new Professor Dumbledor but they did pretty well at finding a guy that looked right to replace the late Richard Harris though they will never match his spirit. Perhaps that is what I miss most. The kids are all doing the pubescent thing, complexion problems, angst, etc… - which is entirely appropriate for the character’s and their respective ages. It wasn’t a perfect film but it was a lot of fun. I recommend you see it on the big screen if you get a chance. 3.75 on this one.


Walk the Line

Saw this one with Bec last week - all and all, a pretty good film. Johnny Cash was a drunk and an addict and had all of the fun consequences that go with those kinds of choices. I don’t know a whole lot about his life beyond what was portrayed in the film but by most accounts, he straightened himself up and became a respectable man by the time he died. Joaquin Phoenix (Johnny Cash) and Reese Witherspoon (June Carter) both sing for themselves. Both are surprisingly good though Phoenix’s portrayal of Cash’s singing feels spot on to me. If you have an idealized picture of Cash in your mind, keep it and don’t see this movie. On the other hand, if you like this sort of film, it’s neither the best or the worst I’ve seen.


Aeon Flux

Wow did I like this movie! I was a huge fan of the original animated series and the movie exceeded all of my expectations. Charlize Theron proves once again her versatility and depth as an actor. The cinematography is exquisite and the scenes are like perfect little vignettes. You should definitely see this one on the big screen. 4.25 on this one.


Rent

I saw this one just today - it made me laugh, it made me cry. Rent is about bohemian artists living in the Slums of New York, it is about AIDS, it is about alternative lifestyles, it is about gays and lesbians, it is about straight people, it is about community, it is about drag queens and angels, it is about music, but mostly, it is about love. It’s a musical so, right away you know that I’m biased. The songs are fresh and interesting with beautiful harmonies. If you love movie musicals, this is a must see and worth seeing in the theater or in the privacy of your own home where you can cry your eyes out in private.

RCS

6 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Lee Ann said...

I saw Harry Potter, I am a big fan, and I agree. It was a good fun movie.
I haven't seen the other ones, but I would like to see Rent.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Weary Hag said...

Of all the movies you listed, I'll probably only see Rent. Thanks for the great reviews! You've always done a fine job of keeping us in the know.


Also - thanks so much for stopping by the Outpost ... I always appreciate your comments!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

Rent, baby. Sounds like my kinda flick, I'm seeing it Tuesday. Thanks for making up my mind.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rent? I resolve to not see it. I'll give Aeon a try, though.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

thaks for the reviews. I want to see all of them.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Pete B said...

Ah, now you see I was introduced to Harry Potter (by my then housemate) when the second book came out, just under a year before it really took off. I wasn't exactly over the moon when it became almost mainstream, and even less when WB merchandising team got hold of it.

Anyhow, neither of the screen Dumbledores seem quite right from my minds-eye picture. I felt that Richard Harris, while good, came across as a little too frail; Michael Gambon does have more the air of thoughtful mischief about him, but seems a little too batty!
At least in the latest film Harry's hair is properly unruly, which it should have been right from the very start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home